Sunday, May 31, 2015

McCoy could be closing in on first offer

Marqel McCoy has hit the offseason hard by attending Passing Down and having June camps mapped out. The Class of 2016 wide receiver and defensive back said one service academy is  getting close to extending a pledge to him (photo by Lorenzo J. Reyna).
Could Berean Christian (Walnut Creek) wide receiver Marqel McCoy soon become “Army strong?”

The 6-foot-3 Class of 2016 prospect said talks between him and the Black Knights have heated up, which is elevating his chances of landing his first scholarship offer.

“My conversations with Army have been the most intense,” McCoy said. “Coach (Sean) Saturnio tells me that I’m an offer guy and he’s seeking approval to offer me.”

Army was one of 13 schools visiting McCoy during the NCAA Spring Evaluation period. McCoy said coaches from Michigan, Boise State, Colorado, Colorado State, Sacramento State and Washington were also talking to him.

“The other schools have been seeing what I’m doing. They’re telling me they really like me and my game, and that they want me at their camps,” McCoy said.

He adds that he worked out in front of Eastern Washington, UC Davis and Montana coaches. He said he’s being scouted as a receiver and defensive back.


McCoy, who holds a 3.86 grade point average, plans to hit the June camp season hard. He’ll seek to run drills at seven different camps including Arizona State (June 11 camp at Contra Costa College), Utah (June 15 at Inderkum High in Sacramento) and Stanford (June 16).


No comments:

Post a Comment