Sunday, January 24, 2016

THE ANXIETIES END - JAKE CONSTANTINE IS FOOTBALL BOWL SUBDIVISION BOUND

Camarillo quarterback Jake Constantine will soon enjoy the sights and sounds of Boise State's famed blue turf while wearing the Bronco orange and blue, as the record-breaking Ventura County signal-caller verbally committed to the Mountain West program on Jan. 23 (photo contributed). 
For too long, Camarillo High quarterback Jake Constantine and his family waited and wondered if he was ever going to land his first scholarship offer, especially after shattering school and county records plus leading the Scorpions to a historic 15-1 season.

Now, Constantine can call himself a future Boise State Bronco.

The Mountain West University not only became the first school to offer Constantine, but BSU received a verbal pledge from the 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior on Jan. 23.

His commitment ends what he called a “long and frustrating” recruiting process – but a process that ends with him shedding the “un-offered” label.

“Boise State has always been my top favorite college since I was little, so that truly was the best feeling in the world (to get offered) and it felt great to get that 1,000 pound weight off of my back,” Constantine said.

Following his junior year that saw him throw for 2,501 yards, 26 touchdowns and eight interceptions, Constantine began to market his name in front of college recruiters at different camps and tournaments. Several college coaches liked what they saw, but wound up offering other Class of 2016 quarterbacks...leaving Constantine vexed and full of anxieties.

“The recruiting process was very frustrating for me,” Constantine said. “But God always has a plan and I was going along with it. It seems like he answered my prayers because it (Boise State) has been a dream school of mine since I was a child.”

There was this signal that alerted Constantine about becoming a Bronco: his in-home visit on Jan. 22 with Boise State Director of Player Personnel Taylor Tharp.

“My home visit went great with Coach Tharp and it felt like he was rooting for me throughout that day,” Constantine said.

Constantine plans to take an official visit to the campus on Friday, Jan. 29, adding: “I’m very excited to get up there and see my dream school.”

His other reason for excitement deals with the Broncos’ high-powered shift and motion offense, which has been among the best in the conference.

“I love the Broncos’ offense. I’ve watched them all year on TV and I feel like I’m going to be a great fit for them because they ran a lot of what I ran in high school,” Constantine said. “There’s also no better quarterback developer than coach Bryan Harsin. I’m excited to go up there and learn more about the game from him.”

As Constantine patiently waited on offer No. 1, he had a village rally behind him to help sell his name in front of college football programs: his CHS coaches, family members, teammates and community. Two prominent supporters were former NFL quarterback Rudy Carpenter and QB developer Sam Mora, who started working with Constantine after his sophomore year.

Mora offered this evaluation of his pupil.

“I think what jumps out immediately is his ability to extend plays and always keep his eyes down field,” Mora said. “He throws the ball with great anticipation and timing, and he's a better athlete than people give him credit for. His ability to throw on the run and make off platform throws is extremely impressive.”

Mora, though, explained what Constantine’s best attributes are. It’s the ones that are not seen in Hudl and You Tube highlight films.

“The influence that he has on his teammates makes him an easy leader to follow. And his will to win is right up there with some of the best quarterbacks I've worked with,” Mora said.

Mora works with aspiring college football signal callers in Southern California and Louisiana. He compares Constantine to current NFL stars Jay Cutler, Alex Smith and future NFL draft pick Cody Kessler.

Mora raves about the caliber of quarterback the three-time Fiesta Bowl champions will be getting.

“I think the Boise State football program is absolutely getting a steal in Jake,” Mora said. “Anybody who has seen Jake live or watched his entire games on film will see that Jake plays his best football in the three most critical moments of the game: third down, inside the red zone and the two minute drill. Jake is hyper competitive and wants nothing more to win and win big when he's on the football field. A well raised, well-mannered young man off the field, a dog on the field, Jake is the kind of quarterback you want playing for your team because he is a winner.”

Constantine said he’s already received a warm welcome from Bronco fans through social media - as BSU fans are already following him on Twitter and sending him positive messages.

“The fans seem to be pumped to have me on board,” Constantine said. “I’m more than blessed to be a Bronco and be a part of such a great fan base and program.”

With the emotional weight officially off of his shoulders, Constantine gave thanks to the people who helped elevate his game and morale.


 “I thank Rudy Carpenter and my offensive coordinator coach (Teohua) Sanchez the most. They both taught me everything I needed to know about being a great quarterback and they helped me get through such a long recruiting process,” Constantine said. “I also thank the Camarillo community for supporting me all year and having my back. I’m glad to be a part of a great hometown and school.”


No comments:

Post a Comment