Monday, January 25, 2016

BRADLEY MICKEY TO SUIT UP FOR THE UNIVERSITY HE GREW UP WITH

Arroyo Grande High's Bradley Mickey accepted Cal Poly's scholarship offer on Jan. 24, ending his recruiting period that saw the Mustangs emerge as his first and only offer (photo by Lorenzo Reyna). 
Arroyo Grande’s Bradley Mickey grew up taking in the sights and sounds of Alex G. Spanos Stadium as he watched Cal Poly Mustangs football as a kid.

Mickey will now get his opportunity to run out of the tunnel and play for the University he followed, as the dynamic running back/free safety verbally committed to Cal Poly on the morning of Jan. 24.

“Cal Poly has always been on my mind. I grew up watching their games while growing up around here, so it feels like home,” Mickey said. “It feels awesome to commit to an NCAA Division I program like Cal Poly. I can let out a sigh of relief but I know I have a lot of hard work in front of me.”

While suiting up for the always physical and talented Eagles, Mickey doubled as thoroughbred running back and ball-snatching defensive back. Mickey’s big plays on both sides of the football helped key an 11-2 season for AG in 2015-16.

One of his best moments came in a crucial road showdown against Atascadero with PAC-5 title implications hanging in the balance. Mickey not only scored the game’s final touchdown on a 41-yard run, but sealed the game on an interception with less than a minute left in the 24-10 victory.

Mickey ended his senior year with a team-high 908 rushing yards, 13 rushing touchdowns and six interceptions, with the latter tying for the team lead on defense.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound senior said that he’ll likely no longer line up in the backfield once he arrives on the Poly campus.

“They have me, as of right now, playing safety,” Mickey said. “At Cal Poly, this position is very challenging and will require a ton of hard work to understand all of the concepts. But I feel confident that safety is the right spot for me.”

He’s already gained the trust of the Mustang coaches - all of whom he describes as personable and approachable.

“Every single coach there is so down to earth and the type of people that I want to surround myself with,” Mickey said. “They are very knowledgeable about the game. I know they will give me the opportunity to reach my full potential. They all relate so well to the players and they practice what they preach. I am overjoyed with the group of guys and can't wait to get to work.”

Cal Poly was his lone football pledge. Mickey has made it clear that he will sign his National Letter of Intent to the Mustangs on Wednesday, Feb. 3, on National Signing Day and doesn’t plan on signing anywhere else.


“This is a 100% commitment,” Mickey said. “I'm proud to be a Mustang and will give them everything that I have.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment