Wednesday, December 2, 2015

ISAAC LEPPKE'S WAIT IS OVER

Isaac Leppke's third scholarship offer is from outside the track and field realm. He received his latest academic pledge from the University of San Diego on Wednesday, Dec. 2 (photo by Lorenzo Reyna) 
Despite holding state accolades in the hurdles and receiving two track and field scholarship offers, Dinuba’s Isaac Leppke wants to remind people what his passion is: football.

And his chances of playing college football increased on Wednesday, Dec. 2, as the 6-foot-4 Leppke received his first scholarship offer from the University of San Diego.

Leppke had drawn interest from Football Championship Subdivision, Mountain West, Ivy League and Big 12 schools since the conclusion of his junior year.

“USD offered me an academic (scholarship), so it’s whatever money I get based on my grades and other stuff. They are an academic school and don't offer athletic scholarships there. But they’re interested in me as an athlete from what it sounded like,” Leppke said.

During his senior year, the Emperors experimented Leppke in other positions, including wide receiver. He finished with eight catches for 152 yards and scored once in three games out wide, averaging 19 yards per catch for the 5-5 Emperors.

At quarterback, Leppke threw for 1,209 yards, 13 touchdowns and five interceptions during his senior year.

While track powerhouses Fresno Pacific and the University of Iowa have extended a pledge to him, Leppke said he’s “very grateful” a football opportunity came.

 “I don't know if I can live without it. Football is the route I want to go,” Leppke said. “It has been tough with Iowa, but San Diego is a very good academics school and the degree is just as meaningful. To me, there is nothing better than football.”

Leppke added that he won’t commit right away to USD’s pledge and “I may wait a little bit to see what else happens.”

In the end, Leppke is counting his blessings as he’s become Dinuba’s third straight quarterback to land a pledge (David Rico and Marcus McMaryion).


“I thank God for blessing me and keeping me patient through it all. I knew with God that my path would eventually unfold,” Leppke said. “I also thank my parents because my dad spends endless hours helping get my name out. My mom also spends her hard earned money on getting me to college visits and she sacrifices a lot for me.”


No comments:

Post a Comment