Friday, December 18, 2015

CHARLES WILLIAMS HEADING TO SIN CITY TO HELP BUILD UNLV

Charles Williams tries to break a tackle during a non-league contest against Clovis West. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound senior running back and 2,000 yard rusher announced on Friday, Dec. 18 that he's committing to UNLV (photo credit: Eric Paul Zamora/The Fresno Bee). 
UNLV scored a significant recruiting win on Friday, Dec. 18 by receiving a verbal commitment from a highly decorated running back in the Central Valley of California: 3-star Charles Williams of Bullard High School in Fresno.

Williams - who received offers from Wyoming, UTEP, Idaho and Washington State – chose the Rebels because he likes the direction the program is going in under head coach Tony Sanchez.

“I'm going somewhere where I can do damage and make a name for myself and I'm going to make everything I couldn't do in high school happen now,” Williams said.  “They (the UNLV coaches) did everything in their power to make me have a comfortable four year journey at their school and they want me on both sides the ball, which I really wanted to do in high school.”

Williams is known in the 559 for walloping defenses at running back. He accelerated to 2,039 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns in the Knights’ high-octane Wing-T offense. He helped lead Bullard into the Central Section Division-I semifinals, where the Knights lost 41-7 to eventual section champion Liberty of Bakersfield.

Williams said he received good, positive vibes from being around the Rebel coaching staff.

“All of the coaches are great and showed me love, plus want me to come up there with the mindset that I will play and do big things,” Williams said. “And coach Sanchez has had success everywhere. He’s just rebuilding and I'm going to help him with that.”

Williams becomes the latest Knight running back to join the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision ranks. Since 2012, the Knights have sent Demetrius Warren (Sacramento State) and Dejonte O’Neal (Fresno State) to the FBS level.


He’s now the eighth commitment for the Rebels’ 2016 class and second Central Valley player to choose UNLV this week. College of the Sequoias (Visalia) safety Robert Jackson made his verbal pledge to the Rebels on Dec. 14. 

No comments:

Post a Comment