Monday, February 15, 2016

FROM THE "GATES OF HEAVEN": ST. BONAVENTURE IN GOOD HANDS WITH TWO UNDERCLASSMEN SENSATIONS

St. Bonaventure in Ventura is known for pumping out section and state titles plus creating a college football pipeline for its players. Now, two Bonnie prospects in the 2018 and ’19 class look like the next Seraphs to pile the pledges.

Chuck Wick is emerging as the next marquee St. Bonaventure running back, as the Class of 2018 prospect already has interest from the PAC-12, Mountain West and SEC (photo by Lorenzo Reyna). 


Chuck Wick was only two years old when Ventura-St. Bonaventure running back Lorenzo Booker was shattering state records and bringing home CIF Southern Section titles to his school.

Now, Wick is trying to keep the Seraph running back tradition alive, plus seek Booker’s advice as the Class of 2018 prospect aims to bring a CIF championship back to Telegraph Road with his teammates.

Wick got his feet wet this past season by emerging as a starter on varsity and showed glimpses of stardom, breaking loose on long scoring runs and showing his gritty side on blast and dive plays. Wick said he’s reached out to Booker multiple times for advice and sees him as an inspiration.

“Lorenzo Booker is someone I look up to a lot. He was a hell of a football player,” Wick said. “I just loved watching him play. I always talk to him once a week and he helps me with my speed.”

Wick displayed that speed at the Passing Down 7-on-7 So Cal regional on Saturday, Feb. 13. Wick would take the short throws and then zoom past defenders for first downs. He added another element to his game by hauling down the always tough sideline grabs: by stretching his hands out and keeping his feet in bounds. His crucial plays helped Team Green and Gold finish 2-2 overall in the 26-team tournament at Fontana’s Ralph Lewis Sports Park.

Wick said he’s not the type to let his team down or place himself above the team.

“When I hit the field, I’ll give my 100 percent and never give up. I’m a team player and I love my team. I fight for them anytime I want,” Wick said.

Like Booker and past Seraph running back greats Zach Greene (Arizona), Darrell Scott (Colorado/South Florida) and older brother Shaun (Wyoming), Wick is starting to see his own recruiting period intensify. He said Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oregon and Wyoming have sent him letters.

His dream school, though, is Arizona State because “They have nice jerseys. If it (ASU) was my only offer, I would commit. But I’ll explore other options.”

In the meantime, Wick received this encouragement from Booker:

“Just bring St. Bonnie back,” Wick said. “Just go to the playoffs and get some rings back.”

FABICULANAN NOT OVERWHELMED AS A FRESHMAN

Kamren Fabiculanan went from freshman on varsity to a tall cornerback to watch in the Class of 2019 at St. Bonnie (photo by Lorenzo Reyna). 


It is one thing to be a freshman on varsity, but try being a varsity rookie at one of the top prep programs known for sending its players to the PAC-12, Southeastern Conference and for luring in section and state championships – all while being considered the face of Ventura County prep football.

That was what Seraphs defensive back Kamren Fabiculanan ran into when he was pulled up to the higher level of competition at St. Bonaventure. But thanks to an off-season training group, his adjustment to the varsity level wasn’t nerve-wrecking.

“It was pretty fun getting the experience to play on varsity,” Fabiculanan said. “I Went to B2G for speed training and got exposed to higher level of competition. I thank them for getting my speed right. Playing with them and their varsity guys got my experience up.”

He quickly surfaced as a prospect to watch in the 2019 class, as the 6-foot-1 Fabiculanan used his size and strength to his advantage when going toe-to-toe against wide receivers. While opposing quarterbacks tried to test his side, Fabiculanan used his long arms to swat the ball from the sky or step up and stuff the run.

While he has some experience at wide receiver, Fabiculanan calls himself a cornerback.

“I’m really good at man-to-man,” Fabiculanan said. “I have my eyes on the receiver’s hips the whole time.”

He cites Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks and Jalen Ramsey of Florida State as his favorite athletes because of their competitive nature and aggression.

Speaking of Florida State, the Seminoles recently sent him a school questionnaire, making FSU one of the first schools to show interest in Fabiculanan. He adds Colorado is showing interest as well.

Like his fellow underclassman teammate Wick, Fabiculanan is trying to etch his name in St. Bonnie lore. He used one word to describe Bonnie’s tradition.


“Greatness,” Fabiculanan said. “And I’m trying to be great myself. I’m trying to get my first offer and I’ve been working hard, competing and getting that work in. There’s always room to improve.”

No comments:

Post a Comment