Wednesday, June 3, 2015

College football dreams now becoming a reality for Nash

Dareon Nash of Charter Oak (West Covina) is starting to become one of the Chargers' top college prospects after landing three scholarship offers in less than a month (photo contributed). 
Like most high school football players, Dareon Nash envisioned himself playing in front of the roar of 40,000 to 70,000 fans on Saturday afternoons at a young age.

Now, the Class of 2016 wide receiver and defensive back from Charter Oak (West Covina) has three colleges that could turn his dream into a reality.

From May 16 to June 2, the 6-foot-2, 175-pound Nash has landed three scholarship offers from Northern Arizona, the University of San Diego and Eastern Washington of the Football Championship Subdivision. His most recent pledge came from the Eagles on June 2.

“It’s difficult to put into words because I’ve dreamed about this for so long and it’s now coming into reality,” Nash said. “This just makes me more humble and ready to prove to the schools that offered me what I’m capable of.”

In the Los Angeles region, Nash owns defensive backs under the lights. He pedals past cornerbacks in man coverage and hauls down the 40 to 50-yard bomb. Most of his biggest plays come from the long ball.

Nash adds fearlessness to his game by catching the screen pass, wait for his blockers to get set up, then blaze through an open hole in the middle of the field. He’s also shown concentration in hauling down the tough red zone jump ball while two defensive backs close fast on him.

Nash was the Chargers’ second leading receiver last season in receptions (57), yards (906) and led COHS with 12 touchdown catches.

While he has three potential suitors when his prep career ends, Nash said he’s taking his time with the recruiting period.


“I’ve never planned on committing early because I want to make the right decision and build a relationship with the coaches before the time is right (to commit),” Nash said. “I’ve never had a dream school, but I’ve known for a long time that for me to get into a school, I would have to earn a scholarship then get my degree. Football has now provided me with that opportunity.”




No comments:

Post a Comment